Close Menu
Invest Intellect
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Invest Intellect
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Commodities
    • Cryptocurrency
    • Fintech
    • Investments
    • Precious Metal
    • Property
    • Stock Market
    Invest Intellect
    Home»Commodities»Spending review 2025: Cutting agricultural budget could be ‘catastrophic’ for nature, farmers and charities warn | Politics News
    Commodities

    Spending review 2025: Cutting agricultural budget could be ‘catastrophic’ for nature, farmers and charities warn | Politics News

    June 9, 20255 Mins Read


    The National Trust and RSPB have joined forces with farmers to warn the government that cutting the agricultural budget could be “catastrophic” for nature and rural businesses.

    In a letter to food security and rural affairs minister Daniel Zeichner, exclusively seen by Sky News, a dozen of the biggest rural industry organisations say they are “deeply concerned” about rumoured cuts that will be made to the agricultural budget in Wednesday’s spending review.

    Chancellor Rachel Reeves will set out budgets for each government department for the rest of this parliament, set to end in 2029.

    The letter says cutting funding for existing and new environmental farming schemes will be “catastrophic” to the government’s aims for the environment.

    “Many of the environmental features present in the countryside and enjoyed by the public will be under threat and will disappear,” the letter says.

    “This would be a poor legacy for this government.”

    Farmers and their tractors protest in Whitehall, London, over the changes to inheritance tax rules.
Pic: PA
    Image:
    Farmers and their tractors protest in Whitehall, London, over changes to inheritance tax rules in February. Pic: PA

    Sir Keir Starmer’s government has made getting to net zero by 2050 a key goal, already initiating several policies to restrict carbon emissions and make the UK greener since winning the election last July.

    However, the government shocked farmers in March when it shut down applications for the Sustainable Farming Incentive (SFI), which rewards farmers for managing their land in environmentally sustainable ways, with just a few hours’ notice as they said a cap had been reached for the year.

    The rural organisations say the Environmental Land Management (ELM) scheme payments are “critical to the government’s statutory targets on environmental improvement”, including the main goal of halting the decline of biodiversity.

    Read more:
    Prince William meets Clarkson’s Farm star to discuss industry challenges

    Labour MP goes public to oppose family farms tax


    The future of British farming?

    The letter states farmers and landowners are fully committed to environmental schemes, with 77,000 live agri-environment scheme agreements, according to the latest government figures, “with millions of hectares under environmental land management”.

    “So much good has been done by these agreements, the oldest of which has run for decades,” the letter says.

    “The unprecedented engagement in the Sustainable Farming Incentive (SFI) is testament to the appetite of farmers and land managers to rise to the challenge and do more.”

    The letter finishes with: “The industry would like to have your assurances that this critical work will continue to be funded at the same level.”

    Sheep on the Bower's farm
    Image:
    Farmers said they may have to revert to intensive farming methods if funding is cut

    David Wilson, a farmer for 53 years, told Sky News it took many years for farmers to get on board with the environmental schemes but they are now joined up, and reducing funding could damage years of work and be a backwards step for not just the UK’s environment, but the world’s.

    “This is ultimately about sustainability. To produce good food, you need good ecology and reducing this funding could damage the UK’s ecology and our food security,” he added.

    A return to intensive farming

    Alex Robinson, 39, a farmer from Gloucestershire with 424 hectares, said the schemes have been “a lifeline for nature”, with birds, bees and wildflowers returning – including 14 red-listed bird species, many that had not been seen in decades.

    His farm’s soil health is improving, which means he can grow more resilient nutrient dense crops for people to eat.

    If funding is cut he said he “may have no choice but to return to intensive farming methods sooner than the soils are ready for”, with wildflowers and field margins becoming “difficult to justify”, which will put the UK’s climate, biodiversity and long-term food security “in real danger”.

    Children on toy tractors during the farmers protest.
Pic Reuters
    Image:
    Children on toy tractors during a farmers’ protest last November. Pic Reuters

    Government will be abandoning nature

    Signatory Victoria Vyvyan, farmer and president of the Country Land and Business Association (CLA), said: “If sustainable farming contracts are cut, government won’t just abandon nature – it will abandon its own environmental and legal commitments.

    “The Sustainable Farming Incentive is working – for farmers, for nature, for the public, and for the Treasury. It’s bringing back wildlife, cleaning up rivers, and restoring the health of our soil.

    “Take away the funding for nature contracts, and farmers will be pushed back to intensive methods – forced to undo years of progress. Nature will suffer as well as farmers, and on the environment, it will go against everything government claims to agree with.”

    The letter has been signed by the heads of The National Trust, the National Farmers’ Union (NFU), the RSPB, the Soil Association, the CLA, the Tenant Farmers Association, the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust, the Nature Friendly Farming Network, the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers, the National Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs, the British Institute of Agricultural Consultants and the Agricultural Industries Confederation.

    A government spokesman said they “do not comment on budget speculation”.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Secretary Wright sends message to International Energy Agency: ‘Clean up your act, or U.S. is out’

    Commodities

    Always Tired? These Sugar-Free Electrolyte Drops Give an Energy Boost Without Jitters

    Commodities

    Walmart Is Selling a 1-Car Metal Carport for $450, and It Ships for Free

    Commodities

    US succeeds in erasing climate from global energy body’s priorities – POLITICO

    Commodities

    After 13 Years, Konami Has to Bring Back an Underrated Metal Gear Game Into Their Modern Collections

    Commodities

    Energy Price Cap set to fall but could you save 18 per cent?

    Commodities
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Picks
    Commodities

    TSJUDER, TIAMAT, NECROPHOBIC, SCHWEIN, VORBID Added To Bill For Inferno Metal Festival Norway 2025

    Commodities

    A turning point for Gold and Commodities?

    Investments

    Stacey Solomon’s impressive property empire – and who really owns Pickle Cottage

    Editors Picks

    BABYMETAL Is Bringing Kawaii Metal to the Masses

    September 8, 2025

    Australia Considers Critical Minerals Price Floor to Help Support New Projects | World News

    August 5, 2025

    ‘Agricultural burning fuels Indo-Gangetic Plain pollution’ – Newspaper

    September 7, 2025

    DBV Technologies participera à la conférence Citizens JMP Life Sciences

    May 5, 2025
    What's Hot

    Narbonne s’impose sur la scène internationale avec le FIP Silver – Côte du Midi

    April 2, 2025

    Metal gives the teeth of Komodo dragons their super strength

    August 23, 2024

    IEU-CEPA grants zero tariffs to several export commodities

    August 4, 2025
    Our Picks

    EACON drives autonomy at high-altitude copper mine

    August 11, 2025

    Fed scraps oversight program for banks’ crypto, fintech activities

    August 15, 2025

    Vatican ‘let down’ by financier in London property deal, High Court says

    February 21, 2025
    Weekly Top

    Walmart Is Selling a 1-Car Metal Carport for $450, and It Ships for Free

    February 19, 2026

    Copper smelter advances to steady-state operations

    February 19, 2026

    Augusta Precious Metals Review 2026 Analysis Released in Latest Industry Report

    February 19, 2026
    Editor's Pick

    Zelensky introduced special anti-Russian sanctions for cryptocurrency payments — EADaily, July 6th, 2025 — Politics, Russia

    July 6, 2025

    Canadian mutual fund sales highest in 2 years, driven by bond funds

    August 23, 2024

    Utilities Up Ahead of Inflation Data — Utilities Roundup

    September 9, 2025
    © 2026 Invest Intellect
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.